Being an avid reader, especially of physical books, there are some general annoyances that I experience.
1) Folded corners – A pretty common pet peeve but I feel this can be easily avoided by using a scrap of paper, a pen, basically any object small enough to fit in the book. I don’t mind breaking the spine or splayed covers because that can’t be helped. Especially if you read a lot of books, put a bookmark in it!
2) The movie version of books, stickers about the movie, little blurbs about the movie – I don’t know why this annoys me. Especially when I want to buy a book, there doesn’t seem to be the non-movie cover of the book. This is also one of the reasons I don’t like buying books from Amazon unless I can be sure it’s not the movie version.
3) No synopsis on the back of the book or inside cover – Instead there is a bunch of praise for the book. Who cares if I don’t know what the book is about? Why do they even put praises on back covers or inside? I’ve seen books with pages of praise including other books of the author. Why?
4) Really really long chapters or really really long run on sentences or a wall of text – I like shortish chapters so that I can stop and think about what I just read or need to take a break. If it’s a wall of text, I just zone out.
5) Unique character names – Especially when it’s hard to pronounce. I’m going to be reading that name throughout the book and it bothers me that I’m saying it wrong the whole time.
What are your book pet peeves?
Thank you for visiting my blog,